Tuesday, November 25, 2014

The Chocolate Aspie Questions America

I, as a young Black man in the United States of America, am very hurt and flabbergasted by the grand jury's decision of no indictment of the officer who shot and killed Ferguson, Missouri teenager Michael Brown. Last night, I was once again reminded that I am an endangered species in my own nation and that I have to constantly be on guard for my own life every time I leave my house or if I have an encounter with law enforcement. While watching the news coverage on CNN last night, seeing the sea of protesters and the chaos that ensued, I thought of the late civil rights activist and freedom fighter Fannie Lou Hamer. 50 years ago on August 22nd, she gave a first hand account of the cruelty and abuse she faced while fighting for her basic rights as an American citizen at the Democratic National Convention. The words that she spoke which resonated with me were, "I question America." A half of a century later, I find myself saying those same words. Is this truly America, where unarmed Black teens get murdered in cold blood by the law and get no justice? Is this truly America, where race relations are very much sour and tense, even in 2014 under the leadership of a Black president? I question America...




#JusticeForMikeBrown
#PrayForFerguson


No comments:

Post a Comment