Saturday, November 29, 2014

The Chocolate Aspie Honors #1

The journey of an Aspie isn't an easy one. For me, growing up, I didn't have friends or that many role models. I have decided to pay homage to both famous and non-famous individuals who have impacted my life or inspired me to be a better person. Some of these people I have never met; Some of these people I have known for many years. I want to commence this list with a famous individual who has touched people all over the world with her angelic singing voice and personality. This person is singing sensation and fellow Aspie, Miss Susan Boyle.

Date of Birth: April 1, 1961
Place of Birth: Blackburn, West Lothian, Scotland
Best Known For: Her incredible stint on the reality television competition show Britain's Got Talent in 2009
Other Accomplishments: The 2009 album I Dreamed A Dream, which topped music charts in the U.S. and the U.K. and the 2010 Christmas album The Gift, which also topped music charts in the U.S. and the U.K.

I look up to Susan Boyle for not only her voice, but for her courage that propelled her to follow her dreams. As a child, doctors diagnosed her with brain damage (she was later diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome in 2013 after years of misdiagnosis) and was ridiculed and harassed by her peers. I can definitely relate to that. When she first appeared on Britain's Got Talent, her outward appearance made people very skeptical of her talent. That all changed when she opened her mouth to sing a rendition of "I Dreamed A Dream" from Les Miserables. Over 10 million television viewers watched her on April 11, 2009 and the rest was history. As someone with Asperger's Syndrome who wants to one day share his singing talent with the world, I can honestly say that Miss Boyle is the ideal role model!







No comments:

Post a Comment