Saturday, October 25, 2014

Out Of The Loop: The Chocolate Aspie's Diagnosis, Part Two

Shortly before withdrawing from Oak Knoll, at the request of Lynne Sullivan (an Instructional Support Teacher), I was referred for a developmental evaluation in October 1996. She referred me because of possible developmental delays, specifically in the area of personal-social skills. After taking the Battelle Developmental Inventory, the Burks' Behavior Rating Scales, and the Connor's Rating Scales, it was determined that I was functioning below my chronological age in all areas of development. According to my teacher, Ms. Budd, I had difficulty following the class routine and structure, I talked out loud in class, I was too "touchy-feely," I was unable to follow class rules and directions, I demanded adult attention, I needed reminders to cooperate, take turns, and share, and I was generally non-compliant.

A month later, I was seen for a speech and language evaluation in conjunction with a Special Needs Preschool referral. The evaluation results indicated scattered language skills. I exhibited a moderate receptive language delay with specific weaknesses in the comprehension of basic concepts, syntax, and morphology. Additionally, I exhibited a mild expressive language delay. My expressive vocabulary skills appeared to be fairly well developed, though I had difficulty maintaining a given topic of reference. Based on those test results, Speech Impaired Services were warranted. By the time January 1997 came along, I was officially withdrawn from Oak Knoll Elementary School, and my mother and grandmother requested a comprehensive Preschool Team evaluation from the present-day Marcus Autism Center. They were extremely concerned about possible developmental delays and behavioral problems since I had recently been evaluated by the Fulton County School System and deemed eligible for special needs preschool services. Marcus used a neurodevelopmental evaluation, a physical examination, developmental history, Early Screening Profiles (one a Cognitive/Language Profile, the other a Self-help/Social Profile Questionnaire), a Child Behavior Checklist (CBCL), a clinical interview with my mother and grandmother, an informal behavior observation, a review of records, and finally, a clinical interview with the family. Marcus determined the following:

With expressive language, I was able to tell stories, say my full name, identify colors, state my address, count to 10, and recite the days of the week.

With receptive language, I had difficulty with multi-step commands and more complex prepositions.

With gross motor skills, I could ascend and descend stairs reciprocally, but I had difficulty peddling a tricycle.

With fine motor skills, I was thought to have a right hand preference, although sometimes I used my left hand. I was described as having an emerging pencil grasp.

With adaptive skills, I was able to use a fork, able to dress and undress myself with some support, and I was toilet trained. I did, however, have nocturnal enuresis.

With all of those procedures being done, and all of Marcus' findings, a diagnosis was unclear for me...







No comments:

Post a Comment